Super fresh, juicy, and loaded with flavor and nutrients- this rainbow fruit salad is all that and much more!
Fruit salads are always so much fun to make and have- simply because they take so little effort. This rainbow fruit salad is no exception. It packs in a delicious combination of fruits and a nice, subtle dressing that ties all the flavors together.
Try making it at home if you’re looking for a healthy dessert or snack to dig into, or for a potluck you’re going to because it is a total crowd pleaser!
Ready to give the salad a shot? Here’s all you need to know about it, along with the recipe.
Ingredients For the Salad
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make this fresh, juicy salad.
For the salad:
- 1 lb fresh raspberries or strawberries
- 1 lb chopped fresh pineapple
- 12 oz fresh blueberries
- 4 kiwis
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 2 bananas
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
How to Make the Rainbow Fruit Salad with Honey Dressing
Got all the ingredients ready? Here’s how to put the salad together/
Slice all the bigger fruits like the oranges, pineapple, kiwis, bananas into small slices.
Put all of them in a big bowl.
Then create the dressing.
Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a dish and mix them well.
Pour the dressing into the bowl with the fruits and mix everything with a spoon.
Enjoy the freshness of this salad.
Can I Make the Rainbow Fruit Salad and Store it For Later?
Fruit salads actually taste best when you make them fresh, and that’s exactly the case with this one too. You can make it in advance and refrigerate it for a few hours before you actually plan to serve it, but the fruits will obviously, lose their crunchiness and texture when you do, and will start to get all juicy and release their water.
Which Other Fruits Can I Add?
This fruit salad is called the ‘rainbow’ fruit salad for a reason- it packs in fruits of every color, and that’s exactly what you should do. Go ahead and use any fruit you love or can get your hands on, and throw it into the mix. The dressing is super versatile, and it works for almost all kinds of fruits.
Mangos are excellent tropical fruits that you can add into the mix, and so are peaches, cantaloupe, honeydew melons, and pears. The salad already has strawberries, but why stop there- add in all the berries you like- blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, and raspberries.
Grapes pitted cherries and pomegranate seeds also lend the salad a nice sweet taste and a bit of crunch.
What Else Can I Add to the Dressing?
The salad dressing is super simple- you’ll need just three ingredients to make it. Simplicity is actually the best part of the dressing, but if you really want to lend the salad a bit of extra flavor, you can add a pinch of black salt into the mix to give it a bit of saltiness.
Can I Make the Dressing in Advance?
Yes, you totally can! A lot of salad dressings can be made in a batch, transferred to a clean glass container, and refrigerated. It becomes so much easier to put recipes together that way- since half the part is already done.
Remember that since this recipe has honey, you’ll need to be super careful about using a sterile container to store it in. Ideally, it is best to use up the dressing within 15 days of making it- anything beyond that will affect the flavor and the integrity of the dressing.
What Can I Do With the Leftover Fruit Salad?
Got leftover fruit salad? You can actually put it to use before it starts to get all soggy and mushy. You can alternate layers of the salad, graham cracker crumbs, and whipped cream or thick yogurt to transform it into a delicious fruit parfait.
If you’re not too sure about using it as a parfait, you can also spread the juicy salad on a slice of basic vanilla cake and then top it with another cake slice. Cover the cake with vanilla frosting and you’ve got yourself a quick fruit cake ready.
Even better- you could use it as a quick pie filling. Just use ready pie crust and you’ll have a nice fruit pie ready for yourself with hardly any effort!
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
The recipe for this rainbow fruit salad is super simple, but you can still implement these little tips and tricks to take it up a notch.
- Remember to always chop the bananas and apples towards the end, right before you plan to assemble the salad. This will help keep them both from browning up and looking unappetizing.
- Always use freshly squeezed lime juice and lime zest as opposed to the bottled store-bought version. There’s just something about the freshly squeezed version that really brings the individual flavors of the fruits alive.
- Not so sure about using lime juice for the dressing? You can use orange juice instead- it is less sour and has a nice natural sweetness as well.
- Always use fresh fruit instead of the frozen variety- they’ll taste a lot better.
- Go easy on the dressing- any salad enthusiast will tell you that a little goes a long way when it comes to the dressing.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This rainbow fruit salad is super versatile and tastes amazing as is. Serve it fresh in individual dessert glasses with some roughly chopped mint leaves on the top (for some extra freshness) and you’re sorted. And if you really want to take things up a notch, you can top each serving with a spritz of whipped cream.
Loved this healthy and delicious dessert recipe? Want to try your hands at some more? Here are a few super easy and healthy recipes you might want to check out.
- No-Bake Vegan Energy Balls Recipe
- No-Bake Vegan Coconut Lemon Truffles
- Classic No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 lb (454g) fresh raspberries or strawberries
- 1 lb (454g) chopped fresh pineapple
- 12 oz (340g) fresh blueberries
- 4 kiwis
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 2 bananas
- ¼ cup (59ml) honey
- 2 teaspoon (10ml) lime zest
- 1 ½ tablespoon (7.5ml) lime juice
- Slice all the bigger fruits like the oranges, pineapple, kiwis, bananas into small slices.
- Put all of them in a big bowl.
- Then create the dressing.
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a dish and mix them well.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl with the fruits and mix everything with a spoon.
- Enjoy the freshness of this salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 7gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g