These chocolate mousse bars are super creamy and melt in the mouth delicious. Plus, they are incredibly easy to make too!
Chocolate Mousse Bars
If you are a chocolate mousse lover, these dessert bars are for you! You will need just a few ingredients to make them, and you’ll be amazed at how insanely delicious they can turn out to be.
Make them when you have some guests coming up, and you’ve got yourself a totally unforgettable crowd-pleaser of a dessert. And if you want something with more creaminess, you could easily make this chocolate Oreo no-bake lasagna instead.
Can’t wait to give it a try? Here’s everything you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Chocolate Mousse Bars
You’ll need just a few simple pantry essentials to make these delicious chocolate mousse bars.
- 3 cups crushed chocolate crackers or biscuits
- 6 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 ¼ cups milk chocolate
- 3 cups heavy cream divided
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
Useful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Them
Prepare a baking dish by lining it with parchment paper to easily remove the bars after cutting them.
In a food processor or blender, pulse the cookies until they are fine crumbs.
Pour the crumbs into a bowl and combine with the melted butter.
Then, press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Refrigerate this for at least 15 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, add the heavy cream and begin to heat over low temperature.
When it begins to bubble, add the chocolate and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.
When the mixture begins to thicken, remove it from the heat.
Add in the softened cream cheese and slowly combine.
Now, in a separate bowl, beat the remaining heavy cream until soft peaks form, then add in the powdered sugar and stir to combine.
Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
Pour into the prepared crust and refrigerate for 4 hours before slicing to serve.
Top with additional dollops of whipped cream and chocolate pieces.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use any sweet biscuit or cookie you prefer that is crunchy and can create a nice crumb mixture. Graham crackers, chocolate cookies, digestive cookies, or even Oreo cookies are all great choices.
Cream cheese is absolutely essential for this recipe since it is what helps your mousse bars get that silky and creamy taste and texture. Plus, it is what helps the mousse bars set, and get them to hold their shape.
Using light cream isn’t advisable for this recipe. If you’re wondering why, it is simply because the heavy cream gives the mousse bars a nice rich flavor, and helps them hold their shape. Light cream tends to be more watery and can cause your mousse bars to become one soggy mess, even if you follow all the steps of the recipe right!
No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Bars Storage Tips
Yes! These chocolate mousse bars need at least 4 hours of refrigeration for them to be able to hold their shape well. Any less than that will cause these bars to get soft and lose their structural integrity.
These mousse bars can stay fresh in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. Ideally, you should store them in the same mold that you are making them in just cover them with cling wrap to keep any refrigerator smells away. If you have some leftovers, you can transfer them to an airtight container and then refrigerate them.
Freezing them is, unfortunately, not an option. Freezing these bars will cause them to have condensation droplets once they are taken out and thawed, and they won’t be able to retain that creamy texture that you want them to have.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Chocolate Mousse Bars
Ready to give this dreamy, creamy recipe a shot? Keep these little tips and hacks in mind to nail the recipe.
- While this recipe uses milk chocolate, you can use dark chocolate too, if you prefer your mousse bars to have an intense flavor. Make sure you use good quality chocolate for this recipe, as it can really make a difference and help the flavors shine through.
- Since the crust of these chocolate mousse bars isn’t baked, you will need to freeze or at least refrigerate it so that it holds its structure well. Remember that even when you do this, you are definitely bound to get some crumbs falling off, as this isn’t your typical baked graham cracker crust.
- To keep your mousse light and fluffy, make sure you fold the mixture, and not overmix it.
- Use a soft spatula to gently lift the mixture from the bottom of the bowl and then fold it in.
- When mixing, use one circular motion, and keep mixing just until everything is fully incorporated.
- To cut out those perfect, even squares, use a sharp and hot knife. This will cut right through the mousse mixture and get to the bottom, through the crust, giving you those perfectly shaped squares that you want.
- Also, remember to wipe the knife clean every single time you use it. This will again, help you get those clean cuts that you are looking for.
- You can also add a spoonful of instant espresso powder to the cream cheese mixture to give the mousse bars a nice coffee flavor.
Right before you serve these bars, don’t forget to top them with some chocolate shavings or chocolate chips. You can use a clean vegetable peeler to shave some dark or milk chocolate. And of course, if you don’t want to go through the trouble of doing that, you can also sprinkle some cocoa powder on the top.
Loved this easy dessert recipe? On the hunt for some more fun no-bake dessert recipes to try out? Here are a few good ones to pick from.
- No-Bake Chocolate Oreo Lasagna Recipe
- Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Balls Recipe
- No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake Recipe
- 3-Ingredient Rocky Road Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Truffles
- Classic No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 3 cups crushed graham crackers
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups milk chocolate
- 3 cups heavy cream, divided
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Prepare a baking dish by lining it with parchment paper to easily remove the bars after cutting them.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the cookies until they are fine crumbs.
- Pour the crumbs into a bowl and combine with the melted butter.
- Then, press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Refrigerate this for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, add the heavy cream and begin to heat over low temperature.
- When it begins to bubble, add the chocolate and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, remove it from the heat.
- Add in the softened cream cheese and slowly combine.
- Now, in a separate bowl, beat the remaining heavy cream until soft peaks form, then add in the powdered sugar and stir to combine.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared crust and refrigerate for 4 hours before slicing to serve.
- Top with additional dollops of whipped cream and chocolate pieces.
Top the mousse bars with whipped cream and shaved or chunked chocolate pieces.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 6g