This no-bake peppermint pie is the perfect easy Christmas dessert that takes just minutes and a few ingredients to whip up.
Unbelievably creamy and balanced with the flavors of chocolate and peppermint, this no-bake pie recipe is a must-try. It might look super fancy, but it takes just a few minutes of kitchen time to put together.
Ready to give the recipe a try? Here’s all you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Pie
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the no-bake peppermint pie.
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
Filling and topping
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 pack cream cheese
- 1 cup white chocolate, melted
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
- Crushed peppermint
How to Make the No-Bake Peppermint Pie
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do.
Place the cookies in a food processor and process them until you get crumbs.
Melt the butter, then add the sugar and mix with a spoon.
When you have the mixture ready, place it into a cake pan and press it into the bottom and sides to make the crust. Place the cake pan in the fridge to set.
Mix the whipping cream and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
In another bowl mix the cream cheese and the melted white chocolate.
Separate ½ cup of whipped cream from the bowl and add the red food coloring to it, stirring until the color is consistent throughout.
Add this red whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and stir until the cream cheese mixture is consistently colored throughout.
Spread this pink mixture over the crust in an even layer.
Spread the rest of the whipped cream over the top of the pink layer.
Decorate with crushed peppermint candies. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
What Else Can I Use For the Crust?
Chocolate goes really well along with peppermint when it comes to flavor, which is why it is best to use any chocolate-flavored cookies or biscuits to make the crust for this no-bake peppermint pie.
Oreos are, of course, the simplest alternative.
You could also use ready, store-bought pie crust if you want to save up on some more of the kitchen time.
What Else Can I Add?
While this creamy and fluffy pie has the perfect balance of flavors and textures and tastes great all on its own, you can still take it up a notch and bring in some fun factor with more additions.
- You can create a little layer of crushed Oreo crumbs or any other chocolate cookie crumbs in between the pie filling layer to give it a bit of extra texture.
- If you’re a fan of creaminess, you can create an additional layer of chocolate pudding or vanilla pudding for this pie. Just remember to allow the pie some extra time to set well.
- If you’re making this pie during the holidays, you can add an additional layer of marshmallow fluff too. Don’t have marshmallow fluff? Just heat some marshmallows in a pan with a bit of butter over low heat, until they are completely melted, and then use the mixture to create a layer on the pie.
Can I Use Regular Sugar Instead of Confectioners Sugar?
You can make do with powdered or granulated sugar for this recipe, but using confectioners sugar can help you get that nice, soft, and uniform texture in your cream mixture.
Confectioner’s sugar tends to have an added starch, which helps the sugar dissolve into the cream more readily, giving you the perfect looking whipped cream that you’re looking for.
How Do I Store the No-Bake Peppermint Pie?
Got some leftovers? You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just remember to cover them with a lid or transfer the leftover pie to an airtight container. This will help preserve the freshness of the pie and also keep it from picking up any refrigerator smells.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
Think you’re all ready to get started with the recipe? Wait up! Keep these little tips and tricks in mind to nail the recipe.
- Make sure you pack the crumbs of the crust tightly into the pan or the pie mold using the back of your spoon or the back of a glass. This will help give you that nice set base that you’re looking for.
- Give the crust enough time to chill in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that this is a no-bake pie, and the only way the crust will be able to hold its shape and all the pie filling on it is when it has had enough refrigerator time.
- This pie ideally needs at least 8 hours of refrigeration, depending on the number of layers it has. If you can store it overnight, even better. However, if you are making this in a time crunch, you can pop the pie into the freezer instead of the refrigerator, and give it an hour to firm up. Just remember to use a freezer-safe container to prevent the freezer burn, and you should be good.
- Remember to get the cream cheese to room temperature before you use it to make the filling, otherwise, you will end up with a mixture that is super lumpy and difficult to work with.
- You can also add some peppermint-flavored gelatin to the cream cheese layer to allow it to set really well.
- Got some peppermint ice cream? Get it out of the freezer, allow it to soften a bit, and then use it as an additional layer for the no-bake peppermint pie.
This no-bake pie tastes best when served with a dollop of whipped cream and some crushed peppermint candy on the top. If you want to take it a step further, throw on some cocoa powder or drizzle a bit of chocolate sauce on the top. If you’re making this pie during the holidays, you can even decorate it with some green and red-colored chocolate sprinkles or chocolate chips.
Loved making this no-bake peppermint pie? Want to try your hands at some more such fun and easy recipes? Here are a few good ones you can get started on.
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies
- 2 tablespoon (25g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (57g) butter
- 1 ½ cup (360ml) heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup (35g) confectioners sugar
- 2 cups (227g) cream cheese
- 1 cup (170g) white chocolate, melted
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
- Place the cookies in a food processor and process them until you get crumbs.
- Melt the butter, then add the sugar and mix with a spoon.
- When you have the mixture ready, place it into a cake pan and press it into the bottom and sides to make the crust. Place the cake pan in the fridge to set..
- Mix the whipping cream and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix the cream cheese and the melted white chocolate.
- Separate ½ cup of whipped cream from the bowl and add the red food coloring to it, stirring until the color is consistent throughout.
- Add this red whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and stir until the cream cheese mixture is consistently colored throughout.
- Spread this pink mixture over the crust in an even layer.
- Spread the rest of the whipped cream over the top of the pink layer.
- Decorate with crushed peppermint candies. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 535Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 676mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 4gSugar: 43gProtein: 9g