Looking for a fun and easy recipe to bring to your next summer party? These watermelon truffles are sure to be a hit! They are no-bake, which means they are quick and easy to make, and they require no special skills or equipment. Plus, they taste delicious!
Make These Watermelon Truffles for Your Next Summer Party
What is a "truffle"?
A truffle is a type of chocolate confectionery that typically has a smooth, round or square shape. They are often made from a variety of ingredients, including chocolate, cream, and butter. Truffles are sometimes coated in cocoa powder or nuts, and can be flavored with various fillings.
This particular recipe is intended to look like a watermelon, so the ingredients used reflect that.
What are some variations you can make?
There are many variations you can make to this recipe. For example, you could copy a different type of fruit, such as strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries.
You could also add some extracts or spices to the chocolate mixture, such as peppermint extract or cinnamon.
If you like the idea of truffles, but could use a whole new recipe that isn't cake mix based, check out these no-bake truffle recipes:
- S'mores Truffles
- Double Chocolate Champagne Truffles
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Truffles
- OREO Truffle Balls
Get creative and have fun!
What Goes into Making Watermelon Truffles?
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups cake mix
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon pink food coloring
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon watermelon flavoring oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
Kitchen Tools Needed
You likely have all of these things in your kitchen, but just on the off-chance that you don't, I've got you some links to some of my favorite kitchen tools that you need to make watermelon balls.
How to Make Watermelon Truffles
In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine the heavy whipping cream and ⅔ of the white chocolate. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted.
Add cake mix and pink food coloring. Mix well to combine and add watermelon flavoring oil. Remove from heat. Allow to cool to the touch.
Pour in the graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips and fold in with a spatula.
With your hands scoop the dough and, using your palms, roll it into a ball. Place truffle balls onto a lined plate.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Melt your chocolate until it's smooth and creamy.
Add coconut oil and mix to combine. Remove from the heat and add green food coloring.
Using a fork, dip each dough ball into the melted green chocolate and place on a lined plate.
Refrigerate for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate coating hardens. Serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are These Watermelon Truffles Gluten-Free?
No, these are not gluten-free truffles. However, if you use a gluten-free cake mix and gluten-free graham crackers, this can be a gluten-free treat. Just take care to sift the gluten-free cake mix, because the gluten-free varieties can be a little grainy.
Can You Make These Watermelon Truffles Vegan?
Yes, these truffles can easily be made vegan by using dairy-free chocolate and cream. Simply melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave as you would regular chocolate, stirring frequently until smooth. Then, add the cream of your choice (you can use coconut cream or any plant-based cream) and stir until combined.
There should be no other substitutions required. Just make sure your other ingredients don't contain any dairy or other non-vegan ingredients.
Do You Have Any Tips For Making These Watermelon Truffles?
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect watermelon truffles:
- Use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out evenly-sized balls of dough, if forming them by hand is resulting in random-sized balls.
- If the dough balls are too wet, they will not hold their shape when dipped in chocolate. To fix this, simply place the balls on a lined plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour before dipping.
- Allow the truffles to set in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before serving. Otherwise, the chocolate will be too soft on the outside.
Tips for Storing Truffles
Watermelon truffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. However, they are best eaten within the first few days.
Looking for More No-Bake Desserts?
If you love the idea of a no-bake dessert so your kitchen doesn't heat up unnecessarily, join the club! We will be adding more delicious ideas here soon, but for now, check out these favorites that are often on our dessert menu. Make sure you bookmark the recipes or print them out so you will have them on hand when you need an easy treat!
- 2 cups (236ml) whipping cream
- 1 ½ (204g) cups cake mix
- 1 cup (100g) graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup (80) chocolate chips
- 1 cup (200g) white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pink food coloring
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) watermelon flavoring oil
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) coconut oil
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine the heavy whipping cream and ⅔ of the white chocolate. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted.
- Add cake mix and pink food coloring. Mix well to combine and add watermelon flavoring oil. Remove from heat. Allow to cool to the touch.
- Pour in the graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips and fold in with a spatula.
- With your hands scoop the dough and, using your palms, roll it into a ball. Place truffle balls onto a lined plate.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Melt your chocolate until it's smooth and creamy.
- Add coconut oil and mix to combine. Remove from the heat and add green food coloring.
- Using a fork, dip each dough ball into the melted green chocolate and place on a lined plate.
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate coating hardens. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 11 Piece. Includes 10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Cups Set and 1 Plastic Measuring Cup. Liquid Measuring Cups Set and Dry Metal Measuring Cup Set
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
Reynolds Kitchens Pop-Up Parchment Paper Sheets, 10.7x13.6 Inch, 30 Count
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 34Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g