These summer fruit skewers are the perfect way to enjoy all the delicious and juicy fruits you can get your hands on!
With fresh, juicy fruits in season, summer is the perfect time to enjoy all the natural deliciousness that nature has to offer. What’s best is the fact that it takes just a teeny bit of effort to make these fruits more interesting, and these summer fruit skewers are the perfect example.
If you’re trying to get your kids to eat healthily, or are just looking for a fancy way to serve fruits at the next barbecue party you are hosting, this is your answer!
These are ridiculously simple to put together, but you might want to get a little more insight to make sure you get it right, especially if you’re making it for the first time. Read on.
Ingredients For the Recipe
Just a few fresh fruits of your choice is all you need to make these summer fruit skewers.
- (you can also use any available fruit in season)
How to Make the Summer Fruit Skewers
Once you have all the fruits ready, here’s the step-by-step process of what you need to do to make the skewers ready.
You will need one plastic syringe in the biggest size you can get.
Cut the front part of it where the needle needs to stay.
Using the syringe, cut some pieces of your favorite fruits in different colors, in my case melon and watermelon.
Put the syringe on the top of the fruit piece and press it down, the fruit will stay inside the syringe.
Repeat the procedure until you fill the syringe.
Put the toothpick from the bottom and push it on the other side of the syringe.
Repeat the procedure and make a lot of colorful skewers that are great for a party and summer refreshing.
You can use practically any fresh summer fruit that you can get your hands on this season. Remember that if you plan to make your skewers in advance, you might need to stay away from using fruits that oxidize or turn brown when exposed to air - for example, bananas.
Here are some excellent choices you could use to make these fruit skewers:
Remember to use at least 2-3 different fruits, preferably in different colors so that your fruit skewers end up looking colorful and attractive. If you’re making these and having them right away, you could also use apples, pears, and bananas.
The best way to enjoy these fruit skewers is to have them as is, without any additional flavoring. That way, you’ll be able to let all the original flavors of the fruits shine through. However, if you really want to go the extra mile, you can serve them with a little dipping sauce or drizzle some sauce or seasoning on them.
A simple cream cheese-based dip or some melted chocolate are two delicious foolproof options that everyone will end up loving. Want to enjoy these fruits with something a bit different? Put together a simple hot smores dip or some caramel apple dip to take things up a notch.
Yes, you can! While it is best to cut up the fruits fresh, and then assemble them right before you serve, that isn’t always possible, especially when you’re making these for a crowd. You can prep and put the summer fruit skewers together for up to 6 hours in advance and transfer them to a container, cover them and refrigerate them.
Regardless of whether you’re using bamboo or wooden skewers, you don’t need to soak them for this recipe, and that’s simply because you won’t be grilling the fruits.
Tips & Tricks to Get Them Right
Think you’re ready to make these delicious summer fruit skewers? Don’t forget to keep these little tips and tricks in mind to make sure you nail the recipe.
- Depending on your personal preference, you can cut the fruits in slices, chunks, or wedges.
- Large-sized fruits (like strawberries) might need to be cut into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Try to get all the fruits to be roughly the same size before you thread them into the skewer sticks.
- To bring in an extra element of freshness into these summer fruit skewers, you can add a folded mint leaf in between 2-3 fruit pieces.
- If you are making these for kids, you can cut out pieces of fruits using a cookie cutter, and then string them into the skewer sticks.
- Another great idea is to use a melon baller to cut circular pieces of each of your fruits, and then string them in.
- You can also dip the fruits into melted chocolate and then let them chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes before you thread them to enjoy a nice and fruity chocolate-dipped dessert.
- If you’re already getting the grill ready for that little party that you’re hosting, you can also grill these skewers. Just remember to drizzle a bit of olive oil on them before you do. And of course, opt for fruits that are grill-friendly and not too juicy.
How to Serve the Summer Fruit Skewers
Assembled all your fruit skewers? Stack them on a small plate and serve them with a few different dips, especially if you’re making them for a party. You can also have some fresh, whipped cream on the side, honey, and sweetened yogurt on the side.
Don’t want to go through all of that? Just top the skewers with a generous sprinkle of desiccated coconut to bring in a bit of additional texture and flavor.
Loved making this delicious and easy dessert? You might also want to check out these easy no-bake dessert recipes that take under 30 minutes to put together.
- Raspberry Oreo Nutella Pudding Parfait
- Decadent Creamy Vanilla Caramel Pudding
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake Lasagna Recipe
- Watermelon (you can also use any available fruit in season)
- You will need one syringe the biggest size you can get.
- Cut the front part of it where the needle needs to stay.
- Cut some pieces of your favorite fruits in different colors, in my case melon and watermelon.
- Put the syringe on the top of the fruit piece and press it down, the fruit will stay inside the syringe.
- Repeat the procedure until you fill the syringe.
- Put the toothpick from the bottom and push it on the other side of the syringe.
- Repeat the procedure and make a lot of colorful skewers that are great for a party and summer refreshing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g