Light, creamy, and super healthy- this layered yogurt fruit parfait might just become your next favorite breakfast recipe.
Perfect as a quick grab-and-go breakfast, a healthy snack, or even a light dessert, this layered yogurt fruit parfait might just win your heart. The flavors are simple and classic, and you’ll need just a teeny bit of effort and kitchen time to put it together.
Infact, you can also make the parfait ahead of time and store it for later - it is really that versatile.
Ready to give this recipe a shot? Here’s all you need to know about it before you do.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just 5 simple ingredients to make this parfait.
- 8 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups granola
- 8 cups mixed fresh berries
Kitchen Tools Needed
How to Make the Layered Yogurt Fruit Parfait
Ready to replicate the parfait recipe in your kitchen? Here’s what you need to do, once you have all your ingredients ready.
In a big bowl mix the yogurt, vanilla, and nutmeg for about 3-4 minutes until you get a light mixture.
In a good-looking big bowl start layering your fruit parfait, start with a layer of yogurt, granola then fresh berries, repeat the same process of layering until you use all of the ingredients finishing with fresh berries.
Frequently Asked Questions
While the basic ingredients that make up this parfait are yogurt, fruits, and granola, you can still tweak it a bit and throw in some additional ingredients based on your taste and personal preference.
For the topping, you could throw on some cherry pie filling or some fresh raspberry sauce to add some extra flavor into the parfait.
Love chocolate? You can use chocolate flavored granola, and sneak in some semisweet chocolate chips into the layer too. For some extra sweetness and a touch of ‘wow’ you can drizzle a bit of chocolate sauce on the top, right before you serve.
Your granola may contain nuts, but you can top the parfait with an extra sprinkle of chopped nuts of your choice for a bit of texture and a healthy crunch. Bonus points if you use slightly roasted chopped nuts- they can elevate your parfait to the next level.
You definitely can. Greek yogurt has a better consistency and is also loaded with protein, which makes it an excellent choice for this recipe especially if you’re trying to make the parfait healthy.
However, you could use regular or low-fat yogurt as an alternative as well. If you’re not keen on using yogurt altogether, a mixture of cream cheese, honey, and some whipped cream can do the trick too.
If you’re keen on using plant-based yogurt for this recipe, you could do that too. Almond milk yogurt, oat milk yogurt, and Greek-style
Berries are the best choice when it comes to making this layered yogurt fruit parfait. Using fresh berries is ideal since they are rich in fiber and also create that gorgeous-looking parfait. You could use frozen berries too, but remember that they will start to release their juices once they thaw, which can mix with the yogurt and make your parfait look less perfect.
Apart from berries, you can also use chopped apples, bananas, or any other seasonal or tropical fruits (like mangos and pineapple) you can get your hands on. Just remember to choose flavors and ingredients that work well together and you should be good.
It is always better to assemble and serve the parfait right away- that way, you’ll get to enjoy all the flavors and textures when they’re at their best. If you’re making this for a crowd, you can get all the dessert bowls ready and cover them with cling wrap before refrigerating them.
Make sure you serve them within 2 hours of making them.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
Think you’re all ready to make the parfait all by yourself? Wait up! Don’t forget these little tips and tricks to get the recipe right.
- While choosing the berries for your parfait, always choose the best, fresh and ripe ones in season. Wash them thoroughly and pat them dry with kitchen towels before you add them to the parfait.
- To bring a bit of tanginess into your parfait, you can mix some softened cream cheese with the yogurt.
- You can also toss the fresh fruit in some lemon juice and a bit of lemon zest before you assemble it onto the parfait. This will enhance the flavor of the parfait to another level.
- Using a mason jar or any other glass jar or bowl to assemble the layered yogurt fruit parfait is great because it allows you to see all the beautiful layers while you’re digging into it.
- While plain yogurt is perfect for this recipe since you’ll be getting the sweetness from the fresh fruits and granola, you can add in some extra sweetener if you really want to. Stick to honey or maple syrup, because they have great natural flavors that beat the taste of processed white sugar any day.
- You can also top the parfait with some desiccated coconut flakes to bring in some extra flavor and deliciousness.
- For a boost of omega 3 fatty acids, you can also sprinkle some chia seeds and/or flaxseeds on the top of the finished-up parfait.
- Another excellent way to make this layered fruit yogurt parfait even more healthy and filling is to soak some quick oats in the yogurt for a few minutes and then layer that mixture into the bowl along with the other ingredients.
Loved the simplicity of this parfait? On the hunt for more such easy and delicious worth trying out? Here are a few great options to consider.
- Raspberry Oreo Nutella Pudding Parfait
- Easy Black Forest Icebox Cake Recipe
- Decadent Creamy Vanilla Caramel Pudding
- 8 cups (1893ml) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon (1ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon (3.5g) freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups (327g) granola
- 8 cups (1330g) mixed fresh berries
- In a big bowl mix the yogurt, vanilla, and nutmeg for about 3-4 minutes until you get a light mixture.
- In a good-looking big bowl start layering your fruit parfait in the way that you are going to start with a layer of yogurt, granola then fresh berries, repeat the same process of layering until you use all of the ingredients finishing with fresh berries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g