A few minutes of prep time is all it takes to whip up chocolate pots de creme- the ultimate chocolate dessert!
Looking for a quick chocolate fix? Rich, utterly creamy, and loaded with the flavor of chocolate- that’s what chocolate pots de creme is all about.
What sets it apart from practically any other chocolate dessert on the planet is the fact that its richness is unrivaled. And what’s even better is the fact that it takes just a few ingredients to make.
Ready to give the recipe a try? Scroll down and keep reading to discover all you need to know about it first.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just 5 simple ingredients to replicate the recipe in your kitchen.
- ⅓ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
Kitchen Tools Needed
How to Make the Chocolate Pots De Creme
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the chocolate pots de creme from scratch.
In a food processor combine the chocolate, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
Process them until you get a smooth mixture.
Pour the whipping cream into a pot over medium heat.
Cook it until it begins to steam, just before it comes to a boil.
Add the cream to the chocolate mixture and mix again until everything is well combined.
Pour the mixture into 2 dishes and let it chill for at least 2 hours.
Decorate with whipped topping and chocolate swirls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you definitely can! Just make sure you choose dark chocolate or unsweetened milk chocolate for best results- 70% Lindt is a great choice. Remember that the quality of the chocolate you choose is really important because it is what will get the flavor to really shine through.
You sure can. Cooking the ingredients on a stovetop is the easiest, most practical solution, but you can definitely choose to do it in your microwave too if you find it to be more convenient.
Just remember to keep stirring the mixture after every 30-second interval, so that it gets to the perfect consistency without burning.
The classic chocolate pots de crème is best enjoyed on its own, but if you really want to go the extra mile, you can add a pinch of espresso powder into it to give it that little coffee kick.
And of course, you can also experiment to your heart’s content with the toppings.
Just like most other desserts, chocolate pots de crème stays good in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just remember to use an airtight container to store it, or cover it in cling wrap to keep it from picking up any refrigerator smells.
Remember to add the toppings right before you serve, to maintain the aesthetic appeal of the dessert.
You definitely can! Instead of using chopped chocolate, you can try replicating this exact recipe with caramel chips and a bit of sea salt to make a salted caramel version.
And if you want to enjoy this recipe during the hot summer months, you could do that too with a lime version of the pots de crème.
You can also add a bit of chocolate hazelnut spread into the mixture after you take it off heat to enjoy a Nutella flavored pots de crème.
Chocolate pots de creme is traditionally made with egg yolks as an ingredient, and they don’t just enhance the flavor, but also help the dessert set well and get to that rich, creamy texture that you want.
Since this recipe does not call for the use of eggs, it pretty much relies on refrigeration for the mixture to set well, and that is not something you can compromise on. Allow the mixture to chill for a minimum of 2 hours- ideally overnight, for you to enjoy it to the fullest.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
The recipe is simple enough, but you can’t say no to some additional tips and tricks to make sure you nail the recipe- right?
- Want to enjoy a dairy-free version of this dessert? Simply swap the heavy cream with coconut cream and it should work just as well.
- When the mixture is on heat, keep stirring it continuously, and make sure it doesn’t come to a boil. You need to heat it just until it simmers- not until it is boiling.
- The ideal way to understand if the mixture is done is to dip a clean spoon into it and check if the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of it.
- To make the dessert healthier, top it with some chopped nuts (walnuts and almonds are great) or berries (strawberries are perfect) of your choice.
- To enjoy an exciting flavor variation, you can add a bit of the essence of your choice into the mixture. Think about flavors that work well with chocolate- orange and peppermint are some good options.
- Want to transform this dessert into something fancy? Top it with some marshmallow fluff or mini marshmallows and blowtorch it before you serve.
How Do I Serve the Chocolate Pots De Creme?
Your classic chocolate pots de creme tastes best when enjoyed on its own- with a spoon to dig into it, all curled up under a blanket on a cold winter day. But hey, if you don’t mind putting in a teeny bit of extra effort, you can top it with some whipped cream and grated chocolate or mini chocolate chips for some extra texture.
Loved how this easy, no-bake dessert recipe turned out? Want to try your hands at some more such fun and interesting recipes? Here are a few good options to get you started.
- Chocolate Fudge Without Condensed Milk
- No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Bars
- Raspberry Oreo Nutella Pudding Parfait
- ⅓ cup (53g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon (25g) sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.5g) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) vanilla
- ½ cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
- In a food processor combine the chocolate, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Process them until you get a smooth mixture.
- Pour the whipping cream into a pot over medium heat.
- Cook it until it begins to steam, just prior to boiling.
- Add the cream to the chocolate mixture and mix again until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into 2 dishes and let it chill for at least 2 hours.
- Decorate with whipped topping and chocolate swirls.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g